FiLMiC Pro v6 on Samsung S8 & Note 8 - Best Practice Guide
The Samsung S8, S8+ and Note 8 are incredible flagships capable of impressive results with FiLMiC Pro v6 for Android. However there are three caveats that users should be aware of in regards to Samsung's implementation of the camera framework, which impose the following limitations:
- Cinematographer Kit is only support up to a maximum resolution of 3k (and max framerate of 30fps).
- 1080p only offers a maximum framerate of 30fps.
- Dual lens support is not available for 3rd party developers to implement on the Note 8.
- The exposure reticle is not supported on the Note 8 only. Centre-weighted exposure that can be locked and unlocked is all that is available due to errors in the Samsung Note 8 camera framework.
Until Samsung issues an update that address these issues we are unable to implement these features in the app.
In addition to these Samsung related issues, the Android file system imposes an approximately 4gb maximum file size limit. Once this file limit is reached, FiLMiC Pro will automatically start a new clip, however you will need to stitch them together in post.
Samsung S8, S8+ and Note 8 Best Practice Recommendations
In order to get the best results with the Samsung S8, S8+ and Note 8 we recommend the following:
- Do not exceed a shooting resolution of 3k (doing so will result in dropped frames)
- If possible, do not save to expandable memory. Internal storages is faster and more reliable
- Check to ensure that your chosen external microphone and sample rate yield correct results. If you notice sync issues with your audio this is one sign that the selected sample rate is not suited to your mic and you should adjust accordingly.
- Test your shooting configuration adequately ahead of time to ensure your selected configuration will suit your shooting needs
If you have any questions please contact us via our Support Page